During this class, anglers of all ages have the opportunity to join us for a first look at fly fishing. COST: FREE
Fly Fishing 101 classes cover equipment rigging (putting together the rod, adding leader and tippet to your line), basic knot tying, basic entomology (insect identification), fly casting and fly selection. We will provide all of your equipment or you can bring your own if you have it. Please dress for the weather.
Fly Fishing 101 is a three hour class that starts at 9am. If you would like to attend a class PLEASE CONTACT THE SHOP VIA EMAIL TO reserve a spot. Class space and equipment is limited so you must sign up in advance. EMAIL email@example.com please include your name, preferred date and phone number.
Grand Rapids Dates 2017: April 29th
East Lansing Dates 2017: April 15th
Rochester Hills Dates 2017: April 22nd
Once you have finished the Fly fishing 101 class, you might be interested in pursuing the sport and these products may be helpful in doing so:
The most common start-up fly fishing setups that people buy after fly fishing 101 are as follows:
- Orvis Clearwater 5wt rod for all around fishing- trout and panfish mostly, some bass
- Orvis Clearwater Reel with standard Orvis Clearwater Trout line (upsell would be a SA or RIO wff line)
- Mystic Reaper is also a solid intro rod with a low price
- The Sage Approach is a winner too.
- Scott has the
- The Lamson Liquid and Remix are great intro reels that actually have really nice drag systems and have been pretty popular with the customers already
- A good pair of polarized sunglasses
- Tapered Leaders
- Assortment of flies (related to the type of fishing you might be doing)
- Chest pack or sling pack of some sort for carrying all of your new stuff